Tuesday 17 January 2012

A circle of ignorance?

A thought came to me today. Which was the last new band that I've discovered who I genuinely really liked? I thought about it and I came to the conclusion it was the King Blues, way back in... 2008? That's over 3 years ago so it begs the question:

'Is that really the only good new band of the past 3 years or have I just become ignorant to discovering new music?'

My favourite bands were all front runners of the punk revival in America in the early nineties, being Green Day, Nofx, Pennywise and the like. I remember when I was about 14 I said to my Dad:

'Have you ever heard  Rancid? I think you'd like them. The Clash sound a bit like them.'

His reply was:

'I have Paul but I think you'll find it's Rancid who sound a bit like The Clash.'

My thoughts as a 14 year old teenager who clearly knew better than my Dad when it came to music:

'Tut, what are you talking about? Get with the times old man!'

My Dad was right of course, but I think he had fallen into a circle which many others have, myself included. I think with music you can become accustomed to listening to what you already know and can become ignorant to discovering new styles and sounds. You label new bands as just trying to sound like established acts which are already out there.

Our parents did it, we do it and our kids will probably do it.

Not everybody falls into the circle though and I know many people who are introducing me to new bands all the time but I just think, 'yeah they're all right, but they're no Bad Religion are they?'

As an aspiring journalist I need to break this thought process and try to have an unbiased view on music. I'll give these new bands which people recommend me a real good listen and try to give an honest, unbiased opinion.

Who knows? Maybe they just won't appeal to me and I'll carry on listening to what I know best but maybe, just maybe, I'll discover a new band to take over the King Blues dusty mantle of  'the last new band I discovered who I genuinely really liked'.

No comments:

Post a Comment